A friend from the blog world posted some tips about potty training. I decided to share with you all. I'm going to start the potty training with Trevor soon. So any tips are a big help. Thanks Lettie
These are some of the potty training techniques I used with Cole
- Consistency, Consistency, Consistency no matter how many accidents he had the first couple of days (which were only a few) I still put underwear back on him.
- I gave myself a good two to three days of not leaving the house. I didn't want to put on a diaper to go somewhere. I also only had him wear his New underwear that I let him pick out at the store. I think that by letting them pick their new underwear out they get excited. I wasn't to thrilled with the spider man underwear but whatever he liked he got. I picked out the rest.
- No Pull ups these are too much like diapers for me, I like it when they know they had an accident and they can feel it. Cole cried when he went potty in his pants because it stung.
- I took him to the store and let him pick out his favorite candy. Then when he went to the bathroom he got a candy. He chose starburst. When he went stinky he got two candies. One thing I made sure of was that he didn't get candy at any other time.
- I brought candies with me in my purse and my mom had some at her house so that he always got one no matter where we were.
- If he did have an accident I took him in the bathtub and poured cold water on his legs. He didn't like this and it broke my heart doing this but I had to do something that he didn't like. It worked because he didn't have very many accidents and he would always tell me that he didn't like the cold bath. Tehn I put underwear right back on him.
- I didn't give in. There were times when Cole would say he had to go potty just to get a candy. I still took him every time and if he only went a little he didn't get a candy.
- Now he only gets a candy every once in a while.
- In the beginning when the other kids went potty I took Cole in there to show him and I gave the older kids a candy. Once Cole got the hang of it this stopped.
- As for the nights, I figured he would be fine because he was waking up with dry diapers. But to make sure he doesn't get anything to drink after 7:00pm and I make him go potty before bed. We have had no accidents at night. (knock on wood)
- Remember to be excited when they go make a big deal out of it because it is a big deal. I had Cole call family members on the phone so that he could tell them.